November 4, 2009

Avacado

As a daughter of islanders I grew up knowing exactly what an avocado is and “how good” it taste. I am not a huge fan of its taste but my father, mother, and husband are obsessed. I also must admit that it has AMAZING health benefits.

“The avocado is colloquially known as the Alligator Pear, reflecting its shape and the leather-like appearance of its skin. Avocado is derived from the Aztec word "ahuacatl."” – www.whfoods.com
Health Benefits:
· Optimum health
· Heart Health
· Increase Your Absorption of Carotenoids from Vegetables
· Avocado Phytonutrients Combat Oral Cancer


Avocados are a good source of vitamin K, dietary fiber, and vitamin B6, vitamin C, foliate and copper. Avocados are also a good source of 
How to select an avocado:
An avocado that is ready to eat is slightly soft. The hard avocados are not yet ready to eat, though edible they will not taste as good.

How to eat avocados:
Avocados are a great side dish. My parents love to eat them with their plantains. My husband likes to eat them in his sandwiches. They can also be chopped up and added to you salad for a creamy taste or made into guacamole.


Click on the link bellow for a healthy guacamole recipe: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/guiltless-guacamole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my article. Fell free to leave me a comment.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews